A story about my first non-trivial debugging experience.

A ‘fake it 'till you make it’ attitude led me to a job as a Site Reliability Engineer at Google Dublin. On 2018-11-05 I started as a Software Developer on a team responsible for the Google search frontend (you might have seen the website before). It is hard to fake it when you are responsible for the website that people routinely use to check if their internet connection works.

To feel better about my experience and skill I am going back to the first incident where more than a simple search was needed to solve my problems. The year was 2012, I was still in high school, and was rocking an Ubuntu 12.04 laptop.

What were the first symptoms of the incident

I just started my computer and was browsing the web for a short while when the internet went down. Every request either failed or never finished. I was in the dark. Checked the WiFi on my phone: the same. Asked my brother and he also confirmed that everything just stopped.

Testing the obvious problems

Without a though I went to our router, plugged it out the wall, waited a couple of seconds and plugged it back in. Thinking from experience I was fairly confident that this will solve any network problem.

I go back to my computer, wait for it to reconnect and voilà! The internet worked… for around 10 seconds and then everything started failing same as before. I guessed the ISP is to blame so I closed my laptop and went away while I waited for the problems to blow over.

After a while I used my phone to check if the internet is working. To my surprise everything worked fine for quite some time. But as soon as I got back on my laptop the problems returned like an exam you keep failing but never study for.

When blaming others does not work, blame yourself

I finally accepted that my computer might be to blame for the outages our household experienced. I disconnected my computer from the network and sure enough everything went back to normal.

This realization left me Googling on my phone and trying multiple generic fixes, all of which I had to copy by hand and none of them worked. Damn. It was time to take things seriously. I want to see what exactly happens on my computer when it connects.

Let’s sniff some packets

I fire up WireShark and connect. After a couple of seconds a ton of identical requests floods my screen. All of them multicast, all of them headed to

It became clear that this is the cause of the problems. I was sending so much hidden network traffic that our cheap router could not handle any more requests. But where Exactly was I sending it?

Googling produced a single result. It was a bug report for pulseaudio flooding the network with multicast packets. Knowing that I’m not alone made me feel reassured.

The issue was that with certain configurations the service I used to stream audio to a remote speaker lost all decency and self-control which resulted in endless data streams on your network. One workaround for the issue was to continuously kill the self-restarting pulseaudio

while true; do killall pulseaudio; sleep 1; done

Beautiful. I opted for the more sane approach and simply disabled network audio streaming.

Post mortem (aka TLDR)

A faulty pulse audio (multicast/RDP) service flooded my network with UDP requests which effectively caused a denial-of-service attack on our home router.

Two possible improvements that would help with dealing the same problem:

  • get a better router so that medium amounts of traffic are not fatal,
  • have readily available stats on network usage so the problem can be detected sooner.